A New Year, a resolution?

I'm not one to make resolutions. I don't remember ever having done so. If I resolve to do something, I'm going to make a resolution any time of year. If there is a goal in my sights, I'll get started on it and do my best to reach it. I don't need the calendar flip to tell me when to start.


Maybe you have made resolutions. Perhaps you do need that flip to get you motivated. But what is it you need to keep you motivated? What is your encouragement? What is going to help you reach the goal you have resolved yourself to?


The first thing to keep in mind: Keep it real, baby! Set a realistic goal. Or set benchmarks, so you have results to look forward to in the short term. Setting a major goal (such as losing 50 pounds or completely clearing out that room that has been a catch-all for years so you can turn into a 5-star guest room) and then finding yourself not reaching it in the time you wanted can easily get you off track and maybe even cause you to give up on your goal completely. Make a chart, with benchmarks, and check each one you reach. When you break it down into smaller pieces, it is less intimidating and easier to reach your long-term goal.

Second: Get a resolution buddy. Find a friend or family member with the same or similar resolution. Keep each other on track and on sight. Sharing will turn a long journey into a short one. I enjoy my workouts more when I have a workout buddy with me. The time flies and I exercise harder and more efficiently.

Third: Surround yourself with supportive people. Just like a good bra, support from others can be uplifting!

Lastly: Reward yourself when you have reached your goal! A little (or big) reward at the end of the finish line is worth the effort!

What is your resolution for 2009?

No comments: