Being the First Jane Austen Mystery...

Having never read a single word of any Jane Austen novel, I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I spied JANE AND THE UNPLEASANTNESS AT SCARGRAVE MANOR on the library shelf. I am glad I checked it out. I am a relatively new fan of mysteries. Just over a year ago, I decided to try out Agatha Christie. My daughter's high school drama department had just completed a production of "Mousetrap" and I wanted to see how well I would like her books and stories. I have now read all of the Agatha Christie works available through our local library system and needed something more to read. On the "New" book shelf, I happened upon the 10th Jane Austen mystery by Stephanie Barron and picked it up. I am not unfamiliar with Jane Austen, just not previously a reader of her works. As a result of my enjoyment of the first "Jane" mystery (and I am well on my way through the second), I will have to read some of Jane's own works. It was a bit tough getting used to the language style and it took me a little longer than usual to complete SCARGRAVE (in comparison to my normal reading speed), but the plot was well arranged and I especially enjoyed the inclusion of footnotes. I have to say it is a mystery along the lines of the great Agatha Christie, with many colorful characters and twists and turns. I believe the sleuthing Jane Austen and Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple would get along famously. Barron does an excellent job.

No comments: