I Did

For better, for worse; for richer, for poorer; in sickness and in health; in good times and in bad.  I do. 

20 years ago, my husband and I looked into each other eyes and proclaimed before God, family and friends that we do.  There have been times in these 20 years when I thought we would never celebrate 20 years of marriage, yet here we are.  We have weathered the worse, the poorer, the sickness and the bad times.  The better, the richer, the health and good times have enabled us to keep our marriage thriving and intact.

Our marriage is richer and healthier than it could have ever been without the worse and bad.  That which does not kill, makes one stronger.  It is because of the tough times and our willingness to keep at it instead of giving up that we are here as a couple to celebrate.  Our bodies and minds become stronger and better through challenges.  Marriage is no less a challenge to one's sanity and well-being than an inquisitve toddler that doesn't like to nap, especially when Mommy needs one.  Living with another human being that is not a parent or sibling and trying to figure out each other's likes/dislikes and getting used to his/her habits is enough to test anyone's mental health!  So, here we are, having survived the storms of marriage.  For our daughters, witnessing Mom and Dad face and survive the turbulence and still love and enjoy each other, we are setting the example for them.  Our relationship will affect all relationships they have, have had and will have. 

20 years used to seem like a long time.  20 years ago, I graduated from college, married the love of my life a month later and bought my first brand new vehicle.  19 years ago, we bought our first house.  18 years ago, our oldest daughter was born followed by a move to another state just 2 years later and the arrival of her little sister the next year.  How could time have passed so quickly and yet so much happened?  One thing I know for sure:  I am supremely happy to have shared these 20 years with my husband.  God set each of us aside from our births just for each other.  Who better to spend the rest of my life with than the one person in the whole world saved just for me?  Ask me again, Handsome; I know exactly what I will say:  I DO!!

RIP Fr. Kendall

No comments: