A couple of recent projects

This summer, I had in mind a couple of projects I wanted to complete. And I did. It took nearly the whole summer to finally bring them to fruition, but with just one full week left before school starts up again, complete them I did. Now, for the disclaimer (and without getting into my political ideology): I am not "green." There. Moving on.

We live in the woods. We have a well from which all of our water is supplied. I have always wanted to supplement our water usage by catching rain water. Those who know me, know my love of growing things. Therefore, I have quite a few plants that require water every few days, particularly if we do not get rain. A rain barrel is my solution to conserving the water table and benefitting my plants. And I love to make stuff! I have it set up right next to my vegetable garden where I can simply hook up a hose and water those plants without any extra labor (not that walking back and forth with 16 pounds of water at a go or hauling out and reeling the hose back in hurts my figure). I found several plans on-line, combined and modified them to suit my needs and budget, and voila! A well-placed cedar tree (found as a sapling on our property, carefully transplanted into a container and lovingly nurtured all summer) will grow up full and tall to shield the neighbor's view of the barrel.















The other project I tackled I had on my mind for a couple of years. It just took me awhile to actually get to it. It was not a priority, but now that it is completed, I don't know why I didn't finish it sooner! Our master bath is a very nice size. However, there are some areas that could use additional privacy. A simple screen was all that was needed to create privacy. Using 4 sheer curtain panels, 5 8' 1x1's and decorative hinges, I found the privacy I desire! I used one curtain panel on each side, folding over the botton half for maximum privacy. And, we have the privacy without sacrificing the penetration of natural and artificial light.


2 comments:

Margo's Musings said...

I'm so glad you started a blog! It will be great to keep track of your projects! I really like the mix of gardening/organization/miscellaneous. I think that makes blogging more entertaining.

-Margaret

Dorothy from Kansas said...

I never considered myself an "organized" person til someone came over to my place and used something and didn't put it back where it belonged! LOL