Post #1




My first post and it won't be about organizing! Since it is harvest time here, I'm sharing some photos of my garden here in the woods. It's not easy finding enough sun time for all of the things I like to grow and eat, but I've been relatively successful. Last year, I tried a few tomato and pepper plants and some lettuce and spinach in containers. It went so well, I decided to dig up the best grass we had growing and put in a real garden. I haven't been too disappointed-although all of the tomato and pepper plants have not filled out and produced as they did last year. I am not alone in our area. Everyone I talk to has the same result this year. Must have been a bad batch of plants. Next year will be better. I'm going to start from seed (I did this year, but without success) sooner than I usually do and start them inside. What we have eaten has been mighty tasty! (Zucchini is to the right of the corn in the picture-mmm...chocolate zucchini bread!)

I've only grown corn once before and it never was this tall!
I'm going to make pickles out of these cucumbers!

My sad looking peppers and tomatoes-I grew in this same location last year with excellent resultsMore sad looking tomatoes and peppers.

The end of the lettuce and a couple more tomato plants. I have planted fall lettuce and spinach and hope to have better results.

4 comments:

ken said...

Thanks for using this medium instead of facespace. I have some photos of our garden on the camera but not downloaded. We have full sun and a larger area so no comparison - we did have one or two poor tomato plants but they are not puny and are bearing fruit. Get David to put a deck on the roof with access for your potted plants that need full sun. smile! I'll be baling hay today on the folks place. They have close to 300 steers that will be sold on Sep 9.
Love ya! ken

Maggie said...

I'm glad to see you here! My tomato and pepper plants were very puny this year, too. My cucumbers took over the garden Charlie and I planted, though. lol

Anonymous said...

Hey! It'll be fun to keep in touch and fun to see photos of the girls! :) We didn't do a garden at all this summer...something about having a spring baby. :) I'm hoping to do a small one next year. Isaac's almost crawling, but "almost" doesn't seem to slow him down from getting everywhere! :) love annab

Dorothy from Kansas said...

Hi, Mimi! I don't come on here as often but I know that's how a few people in the family stay in touch! Good to see you here!