Happy New Year!

I can still say that.  It's only the 8th of January.  There must be a grace period allowing for the New Year greeting for at least a couple of weeks after January 1st.  If there isn't, there should be.  For people like me.  You know, procrastinators. 

I've only delayed writing my first post of 2013 because I haven't been sure about my subject matter.  I have composed many posts as I lay in bed at night instead of sleeping.  I think I should have just gotten out of bed and written them since I have now forgotten most of what I wanted to write.  Does that mean I'm getting older?  Nah, couldn't be. 

I lie.  This is the year for me to feel over 40.  My oldest turns 18 in March, graduates high school in May and goes away to college in August.  My husband and I celebrate 20 years of marriage in June.  It seems impossible that my husband and I could possibly be married 20 years and my first born has been on this side of the womb for 18 years.  It doesn't seem as if 20 years have passed.  20 years ago, 20 years was a long time away.  And it was only a short time ago that we found out I was pregnant.  Please don't mind my occasional outbursts of crying as those realities hit me every now and then. 

The end of 2012 had us in the air traveling to St. Louis and KC to visit our families.  Ahhh, the joys of air travel.  I truly believe some passengers forget they are going to be in an enclosed, self-contained tube with wings, sitting practically in the laps of the other passengers.  Fellow traveler, eating beans with onions and washing it down with a beer isn't always appreciated by your seat-mate.  Save that for when you get to your destination.  And did you know, they sell breath mints in most of the airport shops?  If my eyes are closed, that doesn't mean I'm trying to better concentrate on the narrative about the ails of the five hairy cats you acquired from the pound.  To the passenger sitting in front of me, did you know, suddenly reclining your seat right after the flight attendant has been around with drinks causes wet pants?  And it is always amusing to see the passengers who just have to be first to get off the plane, at the baggage carousel waiting with everyone else, including those of us who got off the plane last.  I witnessed on one flight a woman who practically walked over people in her hurry to get off the plane.  Maybe she was claustrophobic or refuses to use the plane's restroom.  Who knows?  Whatever the case, if you are in the back of the plane, you won't be getting off with the passengers in first class, so just cool your jets.

Despite all that, (and the seat-kicking kids) I still like to travel by air.  It beats being on the road for 10 hours one day and still having to face the same the next day.  I like wandering around the airports, too, when there is time.  What a great place to people watch.  Maybe I'll share those observations later. 

Blessings in 2013 to you and your families from me and mine.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Ha! Josh got wet pants on the way to Mexico last year because of the same thing. lol It was good seeing you!