It's That Time of Year...

When the world falls in love.  Every song you hear, seems to say:  Merry CHRISTmas, may your new year dreams come truuuuuuee...."

I love that song.  The version of it that I have is Robert Goulet and Ann Margaret (you know her, the Mom in "Tommy").  Before we moved 1200 miles from my hometown I recorded a bunch of my favorite CHRISTmas songs from my Mom's albums.  I get the tape out and listen to it over and over (in my ancient mini-van because no one manufactures tape decks anymore), reminiscing about CHRISTmas' past.  I'm eventually going to wear out the tape.  I don't what I will do when that happens.  I did take a precautionary step and found Johnny Mathis' "Merry Christmas" album on CD.  But there are some albums I may never find...

More and more, as I mature physically and especially spiritually, what CHRISTmas means to me has evolved.  I am more aware of our physical separation from our families.  I really don't care about the gift exchanges.  I care more about spending time with our families and friends.  There isn't any gift more important than that.  And the time with our f's and f's is a gift.  I realize that now.  We take for granted that our f's and f's will always be around.  As I see my nieces and nephews grow up from afar, I hate that distance keeps us apart.  We keep up virtually, but it is nowhere near the same as face-to-face.   Cherish the time you have with your loved ones.  I do every chance I get.

John 1:1-5,14
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.*

This passage from John is more revealing as to God's reason why He joined us here on Earth than any other version of the story of Jesus' birth.  Jesus was sent to shed light on all the darkness in the world, revealing the evil that hides in the darkness.  God knew we had to have living proof of his Glory and Majesty because we are mere humans and have to have living proof to believe.  We are a stubborn, pig-headed lot, arguing with God at every turn.  Kinda reminds me of my 14 year-old daughter.  There is very little she won't contradict.  God calls us His children for good reason!  : )

Perhaps this hasn't been the most cheerful CHRISTmas message, but this is where I am this year.  I wish for you to have a very Merry CHRISTmas-enjoy the time off work and school and most importantly, enjoy your families and friends.  I know I will.  I am excited about seeing our families very soon. 

Many joys and peace to you in 2013.


*Bible Gateway.com  New International Version



No comments: